There are a few things I wish I knew before starting at Conestoga College that would have made me feel a little bit more prepared. Here is my list for you to read so that you hopefully have more knowledge than the average College go-er!
- How many Work Study positions there are – There are so many job positions across Conestoga College that I did not realize in my first year. Conestoga Students Inc., is a very popular one for students wanting to get extra money throughout the year that I definitely recommend.
- MyCareer – Speaking of jobs, I wish I knew about MyCareer before starting Conestoga College. If you do not know, MyCareer is Conestoga’s career portal. They post a ton of job postings and career related events on the student tool. I believe Alumni’s can use it as well! I have found some of my jobs through MyCareer and I did not even realize it existed till my second year! Definitely stay updated on MyCareer.
- Recreation Centre Programs – When I first started Conestoga College, I though intramurals were the only options regarding fitness, but the Recreation Centre actually offers a lot more than just that. They have fitness classes such as Zumba, yoga, cycle and more and fitness related events such as Hoops for Halloween, fitness challenges and Yoga on the Lawn.
- Location, location, location – I really wish that I had visited Conestoga more than once before I had to start full time studies. My very first day I made it to class with one minute to spare because I was so lost. I highly encourage practicing finding your parking location or bus routes before the first day. Also, go into the college before the first day and find all of your classes. This will help you tremendously, trust me.
- How much is included in the CSI Health Plan – During my first two years, I decided to opt out of the CSI Health Plan because I thought I was covered under my parent’s coverage. Turns out, I was not covered and needed the CSI Health Plan, but once you opt out, you cannot opt back in until you start a new program. (At least, that is what I was told, it might have changed, but I am not a 100% sure. If you have any questions about the health plan, definitely ask the incredible team at CSI). I also did not even realize that travel insurance is included in the health plan! This is incredibly useful if you are planning a study week trip!
- Food Options – While you are practicing the bus routes and finding your classes, check out the different food options that Conestoga offers. I always would try to bring a lunch as much as possible to try to save money, but Conestoga has a lot of delicious options and can actually end up saving you money with your One Card.